GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ban the punched goal

+3
bald eagle
Thomas Clarke
Loyal2TheRoyal
7 posters

Go down

Ban the punched goal Empty Ban the punched goal

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Similiar topic to banning of the fisted point but this one should have a thread of its own.

Again reasons for wanting this change are similiar. Easy to implement, easy for referees, increased use of the the foot, game is more attractive.

It seemed obvious that when the square ball rule was changed last year that the punched goal be examined. Taking it out of the game might have provided additonal safety for goalkeepers: The 6ft 6" full-forward launching himself fist first at the ball and the goalkeeper is not in keeping with the traditonal skills of Gaelic Football.

Last year on quarter-final weekend, I was very annoyed that so many goals came as a result of the ball being played over the line by the hand as opposed to the foot. I didn't get much response at the time. To remind posters, Michael Conroy, Michael Dara McAuley, Keiran Donaghey and Colm O'Neill all scored goals by punching/pushing/fisting/handing the ball over the line - this is not football.

I was annoyed again last weekend when both Dean Rock and Karol Mannion punched goals in the All-Ireland club final. Wouldn't it be much better if instead of punching the ball, they had to catch/control the ball and then kick it past the defenders and goalkeeper?

What are posters opinions on this? A simple rule change stating that the ball must be played over the line or over the bar with a body part from the knee down could really benefit the game.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Ban the punched goal Empty Re: Ban the punched goal

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Four goals today in the live coverage. Two were directed to the net with the hand. Darren O'Sullivan and Ross Whearty.

Shane Lennon fisted a goal to the Laois net according to reports.

Brian Hurley used his hand to score a Cork goal last night.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:18 pm

This ugly topic raises it's head for discussion yet again. Dublin the benefactors this time. If Bernard Brogan was a volleyballer, he'd be a good one. Mannion and Rock must be on the same volleyball team judging by their goals in the semi-final.

Surely time for a motion to be brought to Congress to outlaw hand assisted goals. Between semi-final and final, Dublin scored five goals. Four with the hand.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I obviously spend too much time on here, as I was watching the game and thinking about this very thread!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm

I think you would have a point Loyal and originally i wouldn't have agreed with you but now i think i would.

The square ball rule is another this that needs looking at seriously too, very contensious and hard to police in real time.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:31 pm

bald eagle wrote:I think you would have a point Loyal and originally i wouldn't have agreed with you but now i think i would.
I wouldn't necessarily be in favour of banning it (thought I haven't really given it a lot of thought), but I don't deny that there is something quite unappealing about seeing a goal palmed into the net.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 pm

bald eagle wrote:
The square ball rule is another this that needs looking at seriously too, very contensious and hard to police in real time.
Both palmed/fisted goals by Brogan today were top class in their execution. You really have to give it to him, as on both occassions I howled "square-ball"....Not so. He had the perseverance and cunning to time his
run/arrival dead on.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:46 pm

i would have no problem with Brogans first goal it was a long ball in and he got a fist to it and it went it but the second one were he palmed it in should be banned in my opinion.

A bit like hand passed points which i hate if at this level you havent the skills to catch the ball and kick it to the net then its time to find another sport.

Absolutely hate to see palmed goals
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:09 pm

bocerty wrote:i would have no problem with Brogans first goal it was a long ball in and he got a fist to it and it went it but the second one were he palmed it in should be banned in my opinion.

A bit like hand passed points which i hate if at this level you havent the skills to catch the ball and kick it to the net then its time to find another sport.

When you're that close to goals though there is no skill in catching it and kicking into the net. When you're almost on the line it looks ungainly trying to kick it as there's inevitable a throw down onto the foot to get it into the net before you're covered.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:09 am

bocerty wrote:i would have no problem with Brogans first goal it was a long ball in and he got a fist to it and it went it but the second one were he palmed it in should be banned in my opinion.

He palmed the first one too - it was a little flick.

I don't think it's as simple as banning all scores from the hand. Michael Murphy scored a great punched point in last years AI final (that could easily have been a goal) and to me it was as skilful as many other parts of our game.

Maybe something where you can only score a goal with the hands if the ball was kicked to you? That would get rid of the little hand-off's that are being complained about.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Phew!!!

A "striking motion with the hand" rule covers both goals. Brogan spot on with both. Keep up FFS.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 am

Boxtyeater wrote:

Phew!!!

A "striking motion with the hand" rule covers both goals. Brogan spot on with both. Keep up FFS.
yes he was spot on Boxty but my point was that there is at least a bit of skill involved in palming/fisting call it what you want a long raking ball to the net, for a start it requires a fair bit of courage to go for it in the first place, to win it against a multitude of defenders and possibly a keeper and manage to put it in the net is skillful in some respect.

For a ball palmed to the net on the back of a 5 yard hand pass there is no skill in that its nearly harder to miss!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:18 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
The problem with that is that it is virtually impossible to referee. Was the hand open? Closed? Half-open? Were both hands doing the same thing?

For me, it is all or nothing.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Another enjoyable club final sadly will be remembered by me as the second successive one marred by goals with the hands.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Hand-assisted goals from Keiran Hughes, Caolan O'Boyle and Kevin McMenamin today.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Hand-assisted goals from Keiran Hughes, Caolan O'Boyle and Kevin McMenamin today.

I thought McMenamin's was a great goal. Showed real hunger to get it after a tame enough shot.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down