Nike

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nike

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 am

First Tiger, then Lance, and now Oscar.

If I was Rory, I'd give the new clubs back now...
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: Nike

Post  Parouisa on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am

I would advise against a surprise party when he turns 30 ......
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am

Parouisa wrote:I would advise against a surprise party when he turns 30 ......

I somehow suspect the guests will all be signing in for that one.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 pm

At least nobody died when the other 2 had their meltdown, the whole Oscar story is simply staggering, i can't get my head round it yet!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:46 pm

bald eagle wrote: the whole Oscar story is simply staggering, i can't get my head round it yet!

I wouldn't over-analyse it, BE. He was a man with the world at his feet, so to speak, and threw it all away.

No sympathy whatsoever for such an animal. Terrible pity for the poor girl to have got involved with him.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Should we not have a trial first ........

Johnnie Cochran would certainly advocate so ........
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Parouisa wrote:Should we not have a trial first ........

Johnnie Cochran would certainly advocate so ........

Good old Johnnie, God rest him, and his famous quote regarding the glove: 'If it don't fit, you must acquit'.

But yes, let's have the trial, and then we can add Oscar's name to those of OJ, Monzon, Tony Ayala Jnr and too many others.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

The last named is due back on the streets soon. Scarey.
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Parouisa wrote:The last named is due back on the streets soon. Scarey.

I used to buy a lot of boxing magazines, and one of them (KO), had unofficial annual awards, one of which was called 'The Tony Ayala Jnr wasted talent award', given to an underachieving fighter. By all acocunts, Ayala was a phenomenal prospect, both in terms of ability and excitement. He was also an uncontrolable savage and, as you say, it is very scary to think that he will soon be out again.

Chris Benoit, the former WWE wrestler, is another story worth googling. Seemed to have everything, before murdering his family and himself. Steriods are rumoured to have played a big part in that one. But Ayala was different - he was just wild.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Oh i'm not over anaylsing it TC, i have my thoughts on his level of guilt and they are pretty clear, what i can't get my head around is the motivation behind these events, maybe i'm just too chilled out!

Benoit was the highest profile sufferer of 'roid rage' ever, and to think the WWE ran a tribute to him when it was announced he died, bet they wished they waited for the full story!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 pm

The curse of the Nike ad
Nike's doomed Write the Future advert is a cautionary tale for anyone attempting to bank on star-power during the World Cup

Douglas Haddow
guardian.co.uk, Monday 5 July 2010 18.00 BST

It must have seemed such a brilliant idea at the time. Round up the superstars, put them in a bit of cinema courtesy of Babel-director Alejandro González Iñárritu and score a viral coup against their age-old rival, and official World Cup sponsor, Adidas.

When it first hit the tube-waves, Nike's Write the Future was promptly hailed as a masterpiece and a stroke of advertising genius. Within the first week of its release, the three-minute spot broke previous viral records with an unprecedented 7.8m views, and it seemed Nike had perfected the art of ambush marketing. Aside from being visually compelling, the ad was successful because it provided an aspirational narrative every spectator could relate to – the idea that the only thing separating us bean-eating plebs from heroism and fame are those rare moments where an individual wills themselves into history.

But what a difference three weeks makes. With the semi-finals afoot and millions of embittered fans looking for someone to blame, a curious backlash has begun and the verdict is in: Nike's Write the Future campaign is officially cursed.

Not only have all the superstars featured in the three-minute spot been shamefully ejected from the tournament, but inopportunely cast Roger Federer also suffered a confounding loss at Wimbledon that many are accrediting to the curse.

Worse yet, for Nike stock-holders at least, Adidas has rallied from behind to claim the largest share of World Cup-associated buzz. It's become such a intriguing and publicised debacle that Write the Future is likely to go down as the most shocking reversal of advertising fortunes since Pepsi set Michael Jackson's hair on fire.

But is it a curse for the ages? Perhaps not. Nike sponsors the Netherlands, so as long as they win the cup it will be difficult to prove that there exists a supernatural connection between the swoosh and abysmal failure.

What the campaign is more indicative of is that American advertisers still don't fully understand the nature of the World Cup. The agency that produced the spot, Oregon-based Wieden+Kennedy, has found plenty of success in hyping up the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo, but the World Cup is a far different brand of beast than your typical bout of idol worship.

If this year's tournament has proven anything, it's that the efforts of the most publicised players are futile when they come up against a team that can play with a bit of cohesion. By producing an advert that focused solely on the actions of a few celebs, Nike tempted fate and is being accordingly punished.

But even more hazardous was in how Nike tested the attention spans and emotional commitment of its audience. Because Write the Future was so well executed, and because it became so popular so quickly, it effectively functioned as an inspiring prelude to the kick-off. And when that decisive moment came for Rooney (or Ronaldo, Ribéry, Cannavaro et al) and they crumpled exactly as they had done in Nike's vision, the entire meaning of the ad shifted away from "just do it" and towards a prognostication of doom.

Rather than a storybook ending for any one of Nike's heroes, what we have here is a case study of what happens when hype goes terribly awry. It's a cautionary tale for anyone who wants to capitalise on star-power during the World Cup, proving that Adidas was correct to pick Snoop Dogg and Hans Solo for spokespeople, as they have absolutely no chance of mucking it up and disappointing prospective cleat consumers.
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:First Tiger, then Lance, and now Oscar.

If I was Rory, I'd give the new clubs back now...

Marion jones, kobe, michael vick etc.

Though lance is the only one they dropped. Must be even more guilty than we know about.
Maybe they found out sheryl crowe is a man or something
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 pm

If someone loses the head and does something horrific then they should be a fooking man (woman) and take the consequences. We see it in our courts all the time - bare faced lying and trying to weasel out of consequences - with the assistance and cajoling of our esteemed legal profession. How the fook can these people live with themselves???

If you create a cock and bull story and are found guilty then this should militate against you in sentencing.

If you do the crime do the fooking time! Sickening.
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:16 pm

The money was resting in my account
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:54 pm

If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Parouisa wrote:If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

I fear that is coming again. Very smart lawyers versus very stupid policemen.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

I fear that is coming again. Very smart lawyers versus very stupid policemen.

A good rule of thumb is to gauge the reaction of the victims family. Usually they are close enough to the facts, have some insight in the background and should have genuine cause to see the guilty person convicted and hence the innocent vindicated.
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Its quite clear even at this remove what happened. I know there has to be due process - I would be the first to say that - but its obvious to me.

I can genuinely see a Johnnie Cochran type defence here along the lines of 'what toe pulled the trigger' at which point there will be an obvious acquittal. I am serious.
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Parouisa wrote:Its quite clear even at this remove what happened. I know there has to be due process - I would be the first to say that - but its obvious to me.

I can genuinely see a Johnnie Cochran type defence here along the lines of 'what toe pulled the trigger' at which point there will be an obvious acquittal. I am serious.

Oh I agree. The story Pistorius told yesterday sounded ludicrous, but then the police chief comes across as an absolute idiot this morning, admitting severals errors already. There is a reason that top defence lawyers earn a lot more than policemen.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote: but then the police chief comes across as an absolute idiot this morning, admitting severals errors already.

And then today it emerges that said policeman is not only moronic, but he is also up for 7 counts of attempted murder, following a drunken shooting spree while on duty!

I doubt the ghost of Johnnie Cochran will even be needed in this one.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote: but then the police chief comes across as an absolute idiot this morning, admitting severals errors already.

And then today it emerges that said policeman is not only moronic, but he is also up for 7 counts of attempted murder, following a drunken shooting spree while on duty!

you couldnt make it up!!!!

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 pm

bocerty wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

you couldnt make it up!!!!

One shot at seven people - the charges had been withdrawn and resurfaced last night.
Look like Oscar has friends in social places
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Just when you think you've reached the absolute bottom of what man is capable of...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/26/oscar-pistorius-memorial-service-reeva-steenkamp

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Just when you think you've reached the absolute bottom of what man is capable of...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/26/oscar-pistorius-memorial-service-reeva-steenkamp

Did you watchnthe Mo Farah interview in the sidebar of that link ?
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:46 am

OMAR wrote: Did you watch the Mo Farah interview in the sidebar of that link ?

Yes, I posted it on the Olympics 2012 thread - priceless!
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top