Knobhead sports 'fans'

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Knobhead sports 'fans'

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote: Oh dear.

'Oh dear' what? Explain yourself please, for us less enlightened.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote: Oh dear.

'Oh dear' what? Explain yourself please, for us less enlightened.

Oh dear, you're talking utter rubbish.

Desperately trying to draw similarities between my support for Tipperary and somebody's glory-hunting support for a Spanish team you use the example of "English boys going on holiday to Spain."

This thread is clearly written in some jest, I was simply expressing an opinion in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

You bring my life personally into it for no reason at all.

The point I was making is that supporting a foreign/unrelated team just for the point of it isn't what I think sport is all about. If you, on the other hand, feel that the greatest experience of sport for you is to sit and watch Ford Super Saturday then fair enough.
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2683

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

I used your personal situation to show your hypocrisy. You started a thread condmening all sorts as knobheads, and I merely tried to point out that they weren't.

Answer me this, Sami (honestly please): If you had the chance to go to watch Barcelona v Man Utd in the champions league final, would you turn it down to watch a Sheffield Wednesday league match instead?
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I used your personal situation to show your hypocrisy. You started a thread condmening all sorts as knobheads, and I merely tried to point out that they weren't.

Answer me this, Sami (honestly please): If you had the chance to go to watch Barcelona v Man Utd in the champions league final, would you turn it down to watch a Sheffield Wednesday league match instead?

Hypocrisy of which there is none.

Although if there was you could have just said so rather than bring personal situations into it?

I'd go and watch the Owls.
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2683

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:01 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

I'd go and watch the Owls.

Let me explain 2 different (though not mutually exclusive) types of human behaviour to you.

Person A is attracted to exceptional things. His head turns when he sees Angelina Jolie on television, yet he doesn't pay any attention to the short, frumpy girl next door. He stops on the street to admire an Italian Ferrari, yet he is passed by dozens of Vauxhalls every day without noticing any of them. He is in awe when he visits the art galleries in London, Paris or Rome, yet he never darkens the door of the craftshop local town.

As humans, most of us are attracted to exceptional things, wherever they come from. In sport, some hold as heroes Bradley Wiggins, Mark Cavendish and Lance Armstrong, yet the same person won't be found standing for hours watching the concluding stages of the Tour of Hull. Some people enjoy watching Barcelona, because they appreciate greatness and beauty. They appreciate something that is exceptional, and are not knobheads for doing so.

Then you have Person B. He eschews certain exceptional things in favour of home comforts, and there is nothing wrong with that either. Person B will refuse a Champions League Final ticket to instead watch his local team (or, should I be more specific, the collection of journeymen who play for a Serbian owned club in his local area). Why does he do this? Is it because he genuinely thinks that the standard in his home town is superior, and that those watching Barcelona are not real sports fans? Of course not, he is doing it for comfort and familiarity reasons.

You see, Sami, a tendency towards comfort and familiarity is also a strong human trait. I would suggest that supporting Sheffield Wednesday is a social exercise. It has little to do with a love of sport, given the dreadful standard on display. Instead, it is a chance to mingle with friends and relatives, share a bit of banter, and follow the soap opera that is your local team. You know that what you are watching is utter rubbish in a sporting context, yet you do it because you've always done it, and the familiarity makes you feel good. A similar example would be the woman who spends hours every week watching Coronation Street - she knows that there are better shows with better scripts and better actors out there, but Coronation Street is what she's always watched, and she isn't a knobhead for doing so.

Now, these 2 personality traits can both be found in one person (e.g. the lad who loves a Texan cyclist, yet criticises those who love Spanish football teams). Personally, I have no issue with any sporting preferences that people have, but what I do take exception to is when someone uses his own viewpoint to unjustly refer to others as knobheads, simply because they don't have the same needs as he does.

You'll get to know people better as you get older Sami, and you'll get to know yourself better too. When you do, you'll find that both are easier to accept and get along with.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Condescension meter off the charts here. TC, I've never seen you so worked up against any other poster. Out of order IMO.
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

All very eloquent TC though could I propose a scenario that may conforms with Samis, generalisation.

Munster rugby fans not from Munster

It aint exactly the Louvre and in its day it was one hell of a bandwagon.
Knobheads

OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:36 pm

RMDrive wrote:Condescension meter off the charts here. TC, I've never seen you so worked up against any other poster. Out of order IMO.

Actually, I think all of my posts have been extremely liberal, while the last one was intended as educational. I've insulted no-one, and defended the rights of everyone (including Sami) to choose what they enjoy doing without being referred to as a knobhead.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Great thread, wonderful input (with the exception of RMD's scything tackle on TC).
I read his post exactly as he defended it but he's well fit to look after himself.

The nub of the issue may lie however in the thread title. An ideal title woould see the word "fans" replaced with "gimps".....
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top