Knobhead sports 'fans'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Knobhead sports 'fans'

Post  SamiPremier08 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Valid points made elsewhere perhaps merit a separate thread.

Those 'supporters' who really grind the gears:

- Those who go too far when jumping on the bandwagon: there is nothing wrong with support for a team snowballing as they head for success. Those who perhaps can't afford to watch all matches but choose to go to watch big games and finals are fine, it is those who happily 'jump on the bandwagon' but act as if they have been there from the start are incredibly irritating.

- Those who 'come out of the woodwork'. Similar to bandwagon jumpers but a different breed, these people have the cunning ability to choose a highly beneficial time to reveal they have been a lifelong supporter of a team or club even though they probably never have been.

E.g. "I've always been a die-hard Hull fan, their promotion to the Premier League has absolutely no bearing on why my closest friends never knew this and why my brand new shirt is so nice and clean."

E.g. The legion of lifelong Bradford fans who have suddenly appeared since they had a decent cup run.

- Anybody who claims to follow a local team as well as a Premier League giant. "Yeah, I support Man U but I support York too because they're my local team" are some of the most sickening words ever uttered in sports related conversation.

- People who change who they support over night depending on success.

- English people who support a Spanish team.

- People who are obsessed with their team to the point that it is difficult to spend time with them.

- People over the age of 12 who insist on wearing their team's full kit whenever possible.

- Anybody who feels the need to wear any item of non-sports related clothing with their teams/clubs crest on it.

- People who base their entire opinion of being a supporter in SKY and TV coverage, having never experienced a live match in the live.

Etc.
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2683

Back to top Go down

Re: Knobhead sports 'fans'

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:

What about English people supporting Irish teams? Suspect
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Ive been to Hull and Back
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:

Dunno why anybody would do that... Shocked
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:

Just saying, people in glass houses, and all that...
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 pm

OMAR wrote:Ive been to Hull and Back

I've never been to Meath.
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:

Just saying, people in glass houses, and all that...

Kind of a completely different context TC but I suppose you have to continue your condescending superior attitude somehow.
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 pm

It's entirely the same context Sami, but I suppose you are unable to see it through the panes of your glass house.

Personally, I don't see how an Englishman supporting a Spanish team makes him a knobhead, just as I don't see how supporting a team in Dublin or Tipperary, or a cyclist from Texas, or a team in Sheffield with hardly any Sheffield players, makes a Sheffield lad a knobhead.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 am

On the band wagon one ...

If there were to be no bandwagoners then every All Ireland final would have about 3,000 fans in attendance. Look at average attendances for League and early championship and then see the crowds increase as momentum gathers. Its just the way it is and always has been. Straitened times do not help either.

Also you could argue if a team is playing crap should people spend their hard earned watching them??? Note the complete de-bandwaggoning of Munster rugby fans.

Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 am

Parouisa wrote:On the band wagon one ...

If there were to be no bandwagoners then every All Ireland final would have about 3,000 fans in attendance. Look at average attendances for League and early championship and then see the crowds increase as momentum gathers. Its just the way it is and always has been. Straitened times do not help either.

Also you could argue if a team is playing crap should people spend their hard earned watching them??? Note the complete de-bandwaggoning of Munster rugby fans.

Agreed also. Although, I must congratulate Tyrone (obviously!) on their 4,000+ attendance for the McKenna Cup opener last Sunday. That would be a decent crowd at a Munster Football final!
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 am

SamiPremier08 wrote:

Anybody who claims to follow a local team as well as a Premier League giant. "Yeah, I support Man U but I support York too because they're my local team" are some of the most sickening words ever uttered in sports related conversation.

I suspect that John Terry has uttered words just a tad more sickening than these.

I work with a lad from Swansea who is also a big Liverpool fan. For the first 30 years of his life the sides never met, nor ever looked like meeting, so he happily supported them both.

Now when they do play, he simply hopes the home side wins, ensuring that both will have gained 3 points by the end of the year (as opposed to 2 each for a pair of draws). He's a decent fella, and I never thought of him as a knobhead.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:35 am

I hate sports fans who boo frees etc. I hate when their kids sitting beside me start booing cos their dad is.

On occasion I have jumped from my seat and f**ked the ref from a height - or harangued an opposition player for a dirty foul or a dive or something. Heat of the moment stuff .... And I have howled some derision at decisions I think are rubbish. But I have never indulged in premeditated or prolonged booing or whistling - no place at GAA matches ....
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am

Yeah, I'd agree with Parouisa here. That is the sort of thing that annoys me with fans. The verbal abuse of opponents and referees, fighting, booing - that sort of thing.

I have no issue with someone wearing their team's colours or emblems, whatever the item of clothing or whatever their age. I'm well past the stage of life where I was concerned at what other people wear.

Overall, a poor enough list Sami. Id've thought that university would have rid your mind of such prejudices.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 am

- People over the age of 12 who insist on wearing their team's full kit whenever possible.

- Anybody who feels the need to wear any item of non-sports related clothing with their teams/clubs crest on it.

Ah here Sami - I don't think I have never seen anyone wearing knicks and shorts and socks to a game - never mind an under 12. I have seen lads in high summer with khaki shorts or such like and county jerseys - perfectly acceptable - but not the actual knicks, and certainly not the socks.

And I can't understand your beef with crests. Sports clothing has become very fashionable and has a huge market. Some of the team/county related gear is very tasteful and chic. What is wrong with showing your support for your county or being proud to sport your county's crest? Is it better to bear Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger's brand?

Some of these things are decidedly not knobby.
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 pm

If you actually read what I wrote about bandwagon fans then you'd see I agree with you.

SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Me?
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:It's entirely the same context Sami, but I suppose you are unable to see it through the panes of your glass house.

Personally, I don't see how an Englishman supporting a Spanish team makes him a knobhead, just as I don't see how supporting a team in Dublin or Tipperary, or a cyclist from Texas, or a team in Sheffield with hardly any Sheffield players, makes a Sheffield lad a knobhead.

The Sheffield team are his local side, regardless of where the players are from - that's a ridiculous argument.

Choosing to support a team in a geographical location (e.g. Madrid, Manchester) that has nothing to do with you whatsoever simply because they are a good side and you want to support a team that always wins is, in my view, not what being a sports fan is about at all.

Supporting the Tipperary hurling team because your mother is from Tipperary and you have grown up visiting the county several times a year, as well as having been brought up by a family who have encouraged you to both watch and play the sport is in an entirely different context from the above.

SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Parouisa wrote:Me?

Yes.
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Lol, great stuff - quality pic! It's a shame that, when you change an avatar, it also changes beside every post you've ever made on here, meaning that this timely piece of visual humour from Parouisa will be lost forever when he moves from something yellow to something navy & blue. Enjoyed while it lasted, though.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:25 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:It's entirely the same context Sami, but I suppose you are unable to see it through the panes of your glass house.

The Sheffield team are his local side, regardless of where the players are from - that's a ridiculous argument.

Choosing to support a team in a geographical location (e.g. Madrid, Manchester) that has nothing to do with you whatsoever simply because they are a good side and you want to support a team that always wins is, in my view, not what being a sports fan is about at all.

Supporting the Tipperary hurling team because your mother is from Tipperary and you have grown up visiting the county several times a year, as well as having been brought up by a family who have encouraged you to both watch and play the sport is in an entirely different context from the above.

I'm sure that most English lads grew up going on holidays to Spain most summers, and probably played a bit of soccer on the beach when they were there.

Ah yes, your local team, with few local players, and a Serbian owner. You aren't a knob for supporting them - just a glutton for punishment. Personally, I'd rather spend my time watching Barca on the tele.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:

Yes.

Are you agreeing with me not necessarily agreeing with you or are you not agreeing that I am not fully agreeing with you or are you agreeing with me that I am not in agreement fully with you or that you are changing opinion to agree with me despite me not agreeing with you?
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:

Nail on the head Sami. It's a credit to you that you support your ancestral team and is in no way similar to lads from Galway city cheering on Manure passionately but not being able to tell you where Terryland park is.
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:11 pm

the real knobhead fans are those who hate the British but still follow every soccer game on TV. When Rooney is wearing the Red of United he is a god and yet put on an England jersey and the same lads are roaring black ******* and English **** at the TV.

Twats the lot of them.

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

I'm sure that most English lads grew up going on holidays to Spain most summers, and probably played a bit of soccer on the beach when they were there.

Ah yes, your local team, with few local players, and a Serbian owner. You aren't a knob for supporting them - just a glutton for punishment. Personally, I'd rather spend my time watching Barca on the tele.

Oh dear.
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 pm

RMDrive wrote:

Nail on the head Sami. It's a credit to you that you support your ancestral team and is in no way similar to lads from Galway city cheering on Manure passionately but not being able to tell you where Terryland park is.

You don't have a preferred NBA team then? You'd rather go and watch Donegal Town shoot hoops against Killester than watch the Lakers v Celtics in the NBA finals?

As I've said twice, Sam iis certainly entitled to support Tipp in hurling, or Ireland in Rugby/Soccer. But, by extension of that, the lad from Sheffield who prefers to watch Barcelona to Milan Mandric's boys is not a knobhead either.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top