GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retired England Rugby Player Faces Deportation

+2
Parouisa
bald eagle
6 posters

Go down

Retired England Rugby Player Faces Deportation Empty Retired England Rugby Player Faces Deportation

Post  bald eagle Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm sure most of you won't be bothered by this story & yes it may deserve to be in The Rugby Thread but i couldn't care less! It has got me really angry as i feel it shows all that is wrong with society when a man can play for a country then get chucked out of that country when injury ends his career.

From BBC.co.uk Sport -

Former Sale Sharks and England flanker Hendre Fourie is facing deportation to South Africa after being forced to retire because of a shoulder injury.

The 33-year-old, who has been living in the United Kingdom for eight years, had his contract cancelled by the Sharks, meaning his visa is no longer valid.
The former Leeds and Rotherham player won eight caps for England.
"I can play for England but I can't get a passport to stay in the country," Fourie told the Times.
“It has been a red-tape nightmare and we just decided it was not worth all the hassle”

"If I had remained on a sports people visa for another two years, I would have got residency, but unless someone is willing to give me another contract, that is not going to happen.
"My wife is South African, but my boy was born here and I would like to have stayed here and tried to get a teaching job.
"There were options to appeal but I would have had to wait another few years before I could get my permanent residency.
"It has been a red-tape nightmare and we just decided it was not worth all the hassle.
"That's the amazing thing - I am not able to claim any benefits in this country. I have always paid my taxes, have represented England, but I have to leave while you hear how they protect the rights of terrorists.
"I am not angry. We have a lot of family in South Africa, which will be good for Hendro [his 18-month-old son] but it is just frustrating the way things have worked out."

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Retired England Rugby Player Faces Deportation Empty Re: Retired England Rugby Player Faces Deportation

Post  Parouisa Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 pm

I dunno ... I am sure there are more worthy cases being deported. As he says his life is not in danger. And what terrorists is he talking about?

Do you just change the rules for him?? Sometimes they would mind you.....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Retired England Rugby Player Faces Deportation Empty Re: Retired England Rugby Player Faces Deportation

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:12 pm

bald eagle wrote:
"There were options to appeal but I would have had to wait another few years before I could get my permanent residency.
"It has been a red-tape nightmare and we just decided it was not worth all the hassle.

A different perspective, buried in the middle of a sob-story.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Is it fair that someone should be considered enough of a national to represent England but not enough of a national to live in that country? Sob story or not he does have a reason for the story to be brought to national attention. To represent a country you should be able to legally live there, that's my view of it anyhow!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

To comment i'd need to understand how he was eligible to play for england.
I agree that the outcome doesn,t make sense but it maybe because the eligibility to play for England is too lax rather than any issue with the residency laws. Also could he not work in a related "skill shortage" field for which working visas are granted. Coaching maybe ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:17 pm

OMAR wrote:
I agree that the outcome doesn,t make sense but it maybe because the eligibility to play for England is too lax rather than any issue with the residency laws.

This is the point, BE. The flaw appears to be with rugby's rules. And I still find it odd that he feels an appeal is 'too much hassle', though i'm sure it is in comparison to a quick buck for a chat with a paper.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:23 pm

No doubt he's already been on to Kieran McGeeney to tease out the issue....No luck it would seem.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:No doubt he's already been on to Kieran McGeeney to tease out the issue....No luck it would seem.....

And I don't think there's any room left at the Parnells' inn either.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Feel sorry for the lad. He was grand to play with the international team and to help them win games but he's no use to them now so off you go. Surely a poor way to treat a servant of your club/country.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Cue this week's Leitrim Observer.....

"New Cultural Attaché appointed to Leitrim"

Ah here! It's the Rogbee authorities/British Imperialism in total cahoots while quaffing G&T's.

Even poor oul' Sallins took in the refugee Johnstone.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Cue this week's Leitrim Observer.....

"New Cultural Attaché appointed to Leitrim"

I think he's a South African rather than a Native American Boxty.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 pm

RMDrive wrote:Feel sorry for the lad. He was grand to play with the international team and to help them win games but he's no use to them now so off you go. Surely a poor way to treat a servant of your club/country.

The Ghurkas got no sympathy so don't fancy his chances
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 am

OMAR wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Feel sorry for the lad. He was grand to play with the international team and to help them win games but he's no use to them now so off you go. Surely a poor way to treat a servant of your club/country.

The Ghurkas got no sympathy so don't fancy his chances

And they had huge swords!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down