GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peddlers: Cyclings Dirty Truth

+3
bocerty
OMAR
bald eagle
7 posters

Go down

Peddlers: Cyclings Dirty Truth Empty Peddlers: Cyclings Dirty Truth

Post  bald eagle Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:26 am

Don't know if any of you heard this 5Live special from Monday night but was breathtaking listening and definately one of the best sports interviews i have ever listened to.

Please download it from the following link and discuss, it is well worth a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lspecials

It is long but the first hand accounts are unreal, interesting interview with Emma O'Reilly.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Peddlers: Cyclings Dirty Truth Empty Re: Peddlers: Cyclings Dirty Truth

Post  OMAR Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Nike who stayed Loyal to Marion Jones and dog killer Michael Vick have dropped Lance like A hot spud. More guilty than a guilty verdict
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 am

must actually get a listen to this heard it was very good
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Excellent interview with scott mercier (former pro cyclist) for us postal who decided not to go the pharma route.

Off the ball at 8.00 pm this evening
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:08 pm

OTB this evening. Eoin had what i would call the seventh circle of hell. 20 mins interviewing Nicholas Roche.
He ambiguously answers No to a question then if you state So you say No. He goes thats not what i said and goes on the opposite tangent.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Is that on a podcast or listen again feature OMAR?

Anyone caught the title podcast yet?

Looks like Armstrong will be under serious financial strain after the demands placed on him this week, the knives are out and the peleton he once ruled is finally speaking against him.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

[quote="bald eagle"]Is that on a podcast or listen again feature OMAR?

Looks like Armstrong will be under serious financial strain after the demands placed on him this week, the knives are out and the peleton he once ruled is finally speaking against him.[/quot

Sorry BE they are all terms beyond my IT capacity
I listened to it on my way him from work on the car radio

Assume it can be picked up via some new fangled tool.

My work life currently consits of 7.30 pm dePartures from dublin and an 80 minute commute
OTB keeps me sane
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:06 pm

[quote="bald eagle"]Is that on a podcast or listen again feature OMAR?

Looks like Armstrong will be under serious financial strain after the demands placed on him this week, the knives are out and the peleton he once ruled is finally speaking against him.[/quot

Sorry BE they are all terms beyond my IT capacity
I listened to it on my way him from work on the car radio

Assume it can be picked up via some new fangled tool.

My work life currently consits of 7.30 pm dePartures from dublin and an 80 minute commute
OTB keeps me sane
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 pm

An interesting article!!!!

The apology Lance Armstrong will never give

Hello, everybody, and thanks for coming today. I know a lot of you never thought I would do this. Well, I never thought I would do this, either.

My name is Lance Armstrong, and I love cycling. When I was young my anger and desire would overwhelm me when I competed, a blinding rage, and I could barely control it. I had a rough childhood, and cycling was my escape. I was a triathlon champion as a teenager, and I was the world road race champion at 21, and I came to Europe and watched Miguel Indurain pedal away from me like I was a kid. That was the 1994 Tour de France. He kicked my ass.

Then everybody started to kick my ass. EPO came in, and guys were so much stronger, so much faster. I could win one-day races, but I wasn’t the greatest climber, and I had to withdraw in three of my first four attempts at the Tour; the other time, I finished 36th. I wanted to be great, so I faced the same decision every other cyclist in the last 15 years faced: you dope, or you get dropped. That was the choice. It’s like my former friend Levi Leipheimer put it: this sport breaks your heart, bit by bit.

Well, I don’t regret my decision the way those other guys did. I needed to be the best, and you couldn’t be the best and be clean in this sport. So I doped. And after I beat cancer I needed cycling more than ever, so I kept going. I doped better than anybody — I got better information, I got the best doctors, I pushed the envelope even though EPO killed a bunch of pro cyclists in the 1980s and 1990s. There was no other way. I built a machine to take on pro cycling, and I destroyed fields full of guys who were as dirty as I was. I don’t apologize for that.

I’m sorry I had to dope to be great, but this problem didn’t start with me, and didn’t end with me. So while I accept my lifetime ban, I call on the UCI and WADA and the USADA to agree to a one-time truth and reconciliation commission, to allow other riders to tell the truth without fear of repercussions. The sport created us; the sport needs to let us talk about it.

That being said, there are some things I’m sorry for. I’m sorry I ran Christophe Bassons, one of the sport’s truly noble men, out of the Tour in 1999 for daring to say that you couldn’t reach a top 10 at the Tour without doping. I’m sorry for attacking Frankie and Betsy Andreu for being in the hospital room with me in 1996 when I admitted to the doctors that I had used EPO, testosterone, growth hormone, cortisone and steroids. I’m sorry I sued our former soigneur, Emma O’Reilly, who wouldn’t back down from the truth. I’m sorry I called her a prostitute, and a drunk.

I’m sorry for attacking journalists like David Walsh and Paul Kimmage, who is still being sued by the UCI in what is as unconscionable a lawsuit as even I’ve ever seen. I’m sorry I told Christian Vande Velde to dope or get dropped from the team, and I’m sorry I allowed David Zabriskie to dope, because he got into cycling to escape his drug-addict father, the way I used it to pedal away from my absent father and my abusive stepfather and the emptiness of Plano, Texas. I’m sorry David broke down and cried the night he agreed to go against everything he believed in.

I’m sorry for sending a text message to Levi Leipheimer’s wife Odessa after I found out he was testifying that said, “Run, don’t walk.” I’m sorry I threatened to blackmail Greg LeMond. I’m sorry for painting Floyd Landis as an unbalanced lunatic, and for telling Tyler Hamilton in an Aspen restaurant that I would make his life a living hell. I’m sorry that the International Cycling Union is so warped that its president, Pat McQuaid, called Landis and Hamilton “scumbags” on Monday. I’m sorry he was following my lead.

I’m sorry I lied so many times, and that I used cancer as a shield, and to make money. I’m sorry I said stuff like, “The people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics, the skeptics, I feel sorry for you. I’m sorry you can’t dream big and I’m sorry you don’t believe in miracles.” I’m sorry I hurt so many people through litigation, by bullying, by using my money and my prominence in cycling and my political connections to destroy their careers.

But all of this was the cover-up, not the crime, and I felt like I needed to do it to protect myself, and to protect what I was trying to do. The rage and desire consumed me again. I’m not sorry about Livestrong, because even if it doesn’t fund cancer research it provides hope, because I provide hope. Some people might say it diverts money away from the science of curing cancer, but I’m not sorry that those yellow bracelets became totems to a lot of people.

It’s like a guy named Michael Farber wrote in Sports Illustrated: he had been diagnosed with cancer, and while he was waiting in an oncologist’s office another guy took the bracelet off his wrist and handed it to him, and said, “Here.” And it gave that man hope, and hope matters. He’s in remission.

I’ll never apologize for giving people hope.

And this is going to cost me millions, personally, but the rest of my life is about one thing now; about continuing as a symbol of hope for people with cancer. That’s why I’m coming clean today, to protect that.

Because goddamnit, yeah, I doped. But I suffered on that bike, did anything I could on that bike, emptied myself on that bike. I pumped my veins full of whatever it took to win, no matter what it did to me, no matter what it cost. Does that sound familiar? Does it sound like anything else to you?

Cycling was a lot like cancer to me. I faced overwhelming odds, and I beat them the only way I could. So I hope there’s a way for people to still look at me and feel their hearts lift a little, feel lightened, feel like anything is possible. After everything, that’s still important. After everything, that’s what I have left.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/10/23/the-apology-lance-armstrong-will-never-give/
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 am

bocerty wrote:An interesting article!!!!

/

Really....

A poor effort at clinging on.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:35 pm

my problem with LA is that people say he is a hero or inspirational because he beat cancer, no he is not.

IMHO he was one of the lucky ones... i could rhyme off a list of family and friends who werent so lucky starting with my own mum who passed 6 weeks after i got married, she was an inspiration to me and still is because like so many the cancer never got her down , always had a smile and went about her own battle, like so many with that quiet determination and stubborn resistance.

LA was so lucky in life to beat the disease and if you think about it , if you were lucky to beat cancer would you risk your life by pumping unknown toxins into your system having got one second chance did he want a third?

he played the cancer card so much like it was his own personal disease, he bullied and intimidated his way through his sporting life to become "saint" lance.

he was famous for winning tours, he was a cheat. i wouldnt take hope from a yellow nike band with a cheats name on it.

he also used Livestrong funds to "sway favour" with several anti doping bodies in the US and cycling.

then he wouldnt fight the charges when they were first released about 6 weeks ago now he said it was unfounded and he wouldnt put his family through the pressure of a court case my personal belief at the time was if he had nothing to hide he should fight tooth and nail to clear his own name, he wouldnt/didnt that said alot .

ultimately the innocent dont fear the truth.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 am

bocerty wrote:The apology Lance Armstrong will never give

Then apology that I want to hear is from Samin12 (or Samin10, or maybe even Samin08 as he was then). Samin, a staunch Lance supporter, called me a 'disgrace' during a debate on HS a few years back, as I had the audacity to outline my long-held views on the most despicable cheat that sport has ever known.

But to be fair to Samin, he is a dreamer (as evidenced by his ever-changing name). As is young Samipremier, another Lance fanatic, but whose naivety can be excused on the grounds of youth.

However, one man who should have known much better is longtime cycling commentator, and big buddy of Lance, Phil Liggett. Phil, despite having covered cycling for decades, said last week that 'I had no reason to doubt Lance.' Phil's faith, apparently, was based on Lance once looking him in the eye and saying that he would never cheat. I mean, seriously Phil? You, a man who has followed the sport for decades, been around the peleton, heard the whispers, observed the dubious company Lance was keeping, witnessed the superhuman deeds, 'never had any reason to doubt Lance'? Liggett is either extremely dishonest, or phenomenally thick.

Talking of extremely dishonest, I see Lance still has one supporter, and it is none other than 5 times TDF winner Miguel Indurain. Big Mig says that it is wrong to use as evidence the testimony of other riders/officials and, as he never 'failed' a test, Lance should not be considered a cheat. Sean Kelly, several months back, alluded to something similar. Sounds like a few men are getting nervous that their achievements may also be under threat.

Bald Eagle, I listened to the podcast you mentioned - thanks for posting the excellent link - and also the follow up that was posted on the same site last week. Most of what I heard I was aware of, and little of what was new surprised me. I bought and read Lance's book in 2000. I thought he came across as a cold, arrogant, self-centred and thoroughly unlikeable individual. It wasn't long afterwards that I became convinced that he was yet another in cycling's long line of cheats.

Lance, though, is not the only problem. LoyaltotheRoyal said a couple of years ago that he would turn away from cycling if the likes of Contador or the Schlecks were dopers - sadly, 2 of those already have stains on their reputations. Those within the sport try to claim that cycling is now essentially clean, but it isn't. Certainly not while so many former cheats are involved with teams. And not while the discredited Pat McQuaid remains in charge of the UCI.

Still, it's good riddance to Lance, and many of his odious buddies. Time to turn the page on a new chapter (once Samin apologises! Wink )
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:42 pm

eventually got round to listening to the podcast, great article.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind having listened to it that Armstrong was a cheating cnut, he had a lot of clout in the world of sport and very much a bully. To stand and try and tell us he never cheated is bullshit of the tallest order.

People talk about all the money he raised for charities as being some way of almost forgiving him, then you find out that he was charging £200k per after dinner speech and all for his own pocket. At that rate he would have pocketed as much as the charity did.

There was one interesting point made that he should have kept his Tour De France titles as he was the best of the dopers and all of them were at it, he just happened to be the best at it.

It does make you wonder though is there an athlete in the world not indulging in this crack (pardon the pun).

The money involved was unreal, one guy getting 4k per month which would have been increased to 45k if he doped, it would be pretty tempting. Same guy got fed up getting his ass whipped by guys who he knew he was better than.

You can see where so many got caught up in it.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/11/lance-armstrong-yellow-jerseys

Who is this guy fooling, except himself and Samipremier? Pathetic, and shameless.

Yeah, I thought it was a great podcast also Boc, although I'd disagree with one point. I don't think it is as easy as saying 'they were all at it', because they all weren't. A huge amount of them were, but there were a lot of decent pros who never doped. Trouble is, no-one ever heard of them, as they were half an hour back down the mountain when Lance and his mates were popping champagne.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/11/lance-armstrong-yellow-jerseys

Who is this guy fooling, except himself and Samipremier? Pathetic, and shameless.

Yeah, I thought it was a great podcast also Boc, although I'd disagree with one point. I don't think it is as easy as saying 'they were all at it', because they all weren't. A huge amount of them were, but there were a lot of decent pros who never doped. Trouble is, no-one ever heard of them, as they were half an hour back down the mountain when Lance and his mates were popping champagne.

he clearly is deluded - i suppose if you say something often enough you might start to believe it yourself. The evidence against him is overwhelming, there isnt an honest bone in that ***** body.

Fair enough point TC, those that werent at it were very much in the minority, in many ways i respect those guys a lot, cant be easy going out knowing your going to get your **** whipped by a druggie, as the saying goes if you cant beat them join them. It cant have been easy to stay clean so fair play to those that did.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm

"Back in Austin and just layin' around …",

Perhaps the a in the second last word should not be there??

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:03 pm

The man clearly has no shame, a bit like myself after a few pints!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:20 pm

Parouisa wrote:"Back in Austin and just layin' around …",

Is Austin a place or a person ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 am

OMAR wrote:
Parouisa wrote:"Back in Austin and just layin' around …",

Is Austin a place or a person ?

probably a code word from something he has just injected into himself.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Surprised the news about Frankie Dettori hasnt made it onto the site yet!!!!

is another major sporting star set for a fall from grace?????
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down