The Golf thread

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Golf thread

Post  OMAR on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm

For a guy that looks somewhat swashbucklish Day us having a Faldoesque round.
As I post he leaves himself a nasty 4 footer on 16
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:45 pm

I can't say there is much to like about T Woods but I damn sure like watching him in contention in the back 9 of a major. Me and 500m others. My reading of the new rule is that it was to address innocent breaches only picked up by nerds. Eg a ball moving marginally with a gust of breeze. Or if the drop was innocently from the wrong place. Clearly tiger did not know the rule or he wouldn't have bragged about his transgression to a Bn people. But as two things happened the ball went back into the water in a different line as well as going into hazard in first place if there was 1 pc of doubt he should have asked for a ruling.
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 pm

OMAR wrote:I can't say there is much to like about T Woods but I damn sure like watching him in contention in the back 9 of a major. Me and 500m others. My reading of the new rule is that it was to address innocent breaches only picked up by nerds. Eg a ball moving marginally with a gust of breeze. Or if the drop was innocently from the wrong place. Clearly tiger did not know the rule or he wouldn't have bragged about his transgression to a Bn people. But as two things happened the ball went back into the water in a different line as well as going into hazard in first place if there was 1 pc of doubt he should have asked for a ruling.

I just don't understand how he couldn't have known the rule. He must have come across it 100 times in his career. It wasn't a local hazard unique to Augusta - it was the same water rule that is place in every tournament he would have played.

The wording of the 'non-disqualification' rule sounded very ambiguous. It allows the organisers to use discretion, but gives no guidance as to what incidents would warrant it.

Having resisted the urge to weigh in pre-tournament, I finally invested in Snedeker a couple of hours ago (9-1). There are 6-7 who could win it, though.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:01 am

I'm watching this in a hotel bar with no sound, for moving day it seems impossible to move. Nobody picking up shots except on 13 and 15. Doesn't look too windy, presume pins are normal Day 3, are the greens cut faster ? or did it rain and they have dried out in some places and not others ?
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:04 am

OMAR wrote:I'm watching this in a hotel bar with no sound, for moving day it seems impossible to move. Nobody picking up shots except on 13 and 15. Doesn't look too windy, presume pins are normal Day 3, are the greens cut faster ? or did it rain and they have dried out in some places and not others ?

They said earlier that the wind had dried out the greens, so they were a lot faster than the first couple of days. Harmon just opined that the top few guys had all done well to score 69/70 in the evening conditions.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:10 am

Leave it to Montgomerie to deliver the quote of the day:

'Tiger Woods just said that he can win this from 4 shots behind, so that means that Lee Westwood can win it from 5 behind'.

Yes Colin, I follow your extrapolated logic.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Chasing losses have picked off day and Scott in running at 13/2 and 11/2
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Jason Day is sure giving me value for my bet, hopefully he can keep his nerve over the last 3 for a nice little lifter for me at 55s!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:22 pm

bald eagle wrote:Jason Day is sure giving me value for my bet, hopefully he can keep his nerve over the last 3 for a nice little lifter for me at 55s!

I'd like to see him win it for you, BE, but Adam Scott looks the steadiest to me right now. I'd say that he's one good putt away from winning it.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 pm

Looks like Day will have to birdie the last now. A shot behind both Cabrerra and Scott.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote: Cabrerra needs to produce something special now.

And he has!! It took a while, but the Masters has sprung to life! Looks like a playoff.

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote: but Adam Scott looks the steadiest to me right now. I'd say that he's one good putt away from winning it.

And there it is! Cabrerra needs to produce something special now.

Yep
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 am

So who's your money on now, Omar?

I fancy Scott, on the basis of his steady play up til now.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:12 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:So who's your money on now, Omar?

I fancy Scott, on the basis of his steady play up til now.

I'm 140 bet . Scott gives me 150 back. Angel nought.
I think Scott has closed his mental demons. Hopefully
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 am

Guilty pleasure during masters is following in play betting. Both 10/11 now
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 am

Both have been superb over the last few holes. Neither deserves to lose.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 am

Hateful fxccker but Steve Williams was in his ear for a full two minutes before that putt.
Cabrera the classiest loser
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:49 am

OMAR wrote:Hateful fxccker but Steve Williams was in his ear for a full two minutes before that putt.
Cabrera the classiest loser

As well as being hateful, Williams is a winner. I wonder what he could do for McIlroy's game.

Angel is indeed a gentleman, and played brilliantly.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun May 12, 2013 11:57 pm

In all of sport, is there anything as predictable as Tiger Woods on the back 9 of a big tournament? Aside, sadly, from Sergio Garcia... Sad

(Garcia was tied with Woods on -13 as he stood on the 17th tee. 3 trips to the water later, he finished on -7)
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:In all of sport, is there anything as predictable as Tiger Woods on the back 9 of a big tournament? Aside, sadly, from Sergio Garcia... Sad

Certainly had his game face on 18 plus a massive save on 15 though F word for global audience now a weekly event.
Garcia if he was going to take umbrage with lack of decorum from Woods could surely have found lower hanging fruit.
Tigers prize looked well as does gold jacket
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 pm

So, midway stage in the US Open and, as usual, the course proving to be the master of all.

Halfway leader Phil Mickelson has, incredibly, been runner up in the Open on 5 occasions, and few would begrudge him a victory at long last in his national championship.  Aside, perhaps, from the English, who have Donald, Rose and Poulter all without touching distance.

4 shots back back are Woods and McIlroy, neither of whom have played particularly well, but both have gritted out +3 totals.  Throw in Schwartzel, Stricker, Colsaerts, Mahan, Stenson, Els, Day, Harrington and a few others, and you have a host of potential winners within 5 of the lead.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 am

I love the pure buck-leppery of the pair of boys after the ball drops......The shot was about 30' off target but......

Mickleson went close again as always.
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:32 am

Well done to Justin Rose. 4th in the Open as a 17 year old amateur, he then turned professional and missed his first 21 cuts. Turned his career around after the death of his father, and is now one of the very best golfers in the world, and a very deserving US Open champion.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:44 pm

impressive stuff from Rose, he has been knocking on the door for a few years without really threatening in a serious manner.  That said he has been muted as a possible major winner by a few folk who know their golf for a while now.

He'll be worth a few bob in sponsorship deals now.

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 pm

bocerty wrote:impressive stuff from Rose, he has been knocking on the door for a few years without really threatening in a serious manner.  That said he has been muted as a possible major winner by a few folk who know their golf for a while now.

He'll be worth a few bob in sponsorship deals now.

Bocerty posting from the media center at the Killyhevlin Hotel according to the I.P. address. Suspect
Yer' a gas man all right.
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next