GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf thread

+19
mossbags
Grenvile
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
Real Kerry Fan
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
bocerty
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
Boxtyeater
patrique
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
GAAGenious
23 posters

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

The Golf thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Golf thread

Post  RMDrive Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:25 pm

And it's won!!!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:42 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. What a great sporting spectacle.

X 100...What an incredible night's sport.....Un-fooking real in terms of skill and nerve....As one who has a mild interest as a player, this was epic stuff...Tremendous stuff..

For tension and drama, there is nothing like it. Stunning stuff, and one of the greatest comebacks in sporting history.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 am

Parouisa wrote:
bocerty wrote:Given there are no Irish men on the team I doubt if i will watch much of this

Miaowwww. Partitionism at its worst. Very unBocertylike statement here from a man whose ecumenicism usually extends to the Ulster covenant ....

Paddy Bradley posted a less than complimentry comment about McDowell onTwitter last night, calling him 'Orange' (he's neither political or orange in colour) before then calling him, in other words, a self pleasurer. He then got pretty annoyed at people having a go at him! Conor Mortimer called them 'Trolls' for some reason! A high profile (soon to be former) GAA player slags off another sportsman on a public media site, making reference to what he feels the political views of that sportsman are, then calls him a w***** then he gets upset when people have a go at him! Says a lot about the man really!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:36 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. What a great sporting spectacle.

X 100...What an incredible night's sport.....Un-fooking real in terms of skill and nerve....As one who has a mild interest as a player, this was epic stuff...Tremendous stuff..

For tension and drama, there is nothing like it. Stunning stuff, and one of the greatest comebacks in sporting history.

one of the greatest Ryder Cups in my memory for excitement, You-Ess-Hay just couldn't close it out in the end. Really glad for Ollie, you could see what it meant for him to be able to dedicate victory to his great friends memory.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 am

Exciting to say the least. Great to see Kaymer and Molinari, the two unsung players clinching it. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 am

Mickelson must be still shaking his head this morning - he didn't bottle it - Rose just hit a couple of incredible shots and putts. Furyk bottled it big time but fair play to Garcia - as did Woods - yet again a complete Ryder Cup flop - as he was when he was at the top. His concession on 18 was mind boggling. Lawrie was magnificent and McIlroy makes the game look easy. Nice to see Kaymer close it out too and Molinari get his moment of glory.

17th and 18th were huge holes for Europe. US bottled a lot on these holes. Fair play to Europe and Poulter, Westwood, Donald and Rose - a good old English spine in the team. Hard to beat the stiff upper lips.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:01 pm

bald eagle wrote:
Parouisa wrote:
bocerty wrote:Given there are no Irish men on the team I doubt if i will watch much of this

Miaowwww. Partitionism at its worst. Very unBocertylike statement here from a man whose ecumenicism usually extends to the Ulster covenant ....

Paddy Bradley posted a less than complimentry comment about McDowell onTwitter last night, calling him 'Orange' (he's neither political or orange in colour) before then calling him, in other words, a self pleasurer. He then got pretty annoyed at people having a go at him! Conor Mortimer called them 'Trolls' for some reason! A high profile (soon to be former) GAA player slags off another sportsman on a public media site, making reference to what he feels the political views of that sportsman are, then calls him a w***** then he gets upset when people have a go at him! Says a lot about the man really!

What an idiot. I never recall Paddy saying much when Ryan McMenamin was marking him - clearly braver on twitter. Also, he obviously doesn't value his job on the BBC's Championship coverage, which he can surely wave goodbye to.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bald eagle wrote:
Parouisa wrote:

What an idiot. I never recall Paddy saying much when Ryan McMenamin was marking him - clearly braver on twitter. Also, he obviously doesn't value his job on the BBC's Championship coverage, which he can surely wave goodbye to.

Hes some boy to be calling anyone a w@nker, maybe his account was hacked!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:39 pm

BE, as the voice of GlobalGAA on Twitter, I hope you got stuck into Paddy (and his sidekick, The Mort). Aside from being the morally right thing to do, it would have been a great chance for some controversy and a bit of traffic our way!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:BE, as the voice of GlobalGAA on Twitter, I hope you got stuck into Paddy (and his sidekick, The Mort). Aside from being the morally right thing to do, it would have been a great chance for some controversy and a bit of traffic our way!

Not an expert on twitter by any means but had a look at this last night - PB14 seems to have a "twitter mate" or whatever the term is on our side of the Foyle(or west of any river to be pedantic) who once again might be better served keeping his spake silent.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:BE, as the voice of GlobalGAA on Twitter, I hope you got stuck into Paddy (and his sidekick, The Mort). Aside from being the morally right thing to do, it would have been a great chance for some controversy and a bit of traffic our way!

Great idea TC. Now I think that Poulter is an a******e and I agree with BOC that as there was no Irishman on the team( expect maor uisce,McGinley) we should not be excited about an event that even all the top golfers in the World do not take part in. Overblown media circus. Evil or Very Mad
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 pm

We are all Europeans!!! Laughing

Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Parouisa wrote:We are all Europeans!!! Laughing

Exactly Par. These Kerry partitionists would start a row in heaven. It's no wonder their county championship matches last weekend resembled World War III!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:We are all Europeans!!! Laughing

Exactly Par. These Kerry partitionists would start a row in heaven. It's no wonder their county championship matches last weekend resembled World War III!
Sounds like the Troika to me. Kerry matches ,sorry match. Bit of pushing and shoving but not a decent blow thrown. Very disappointing despite the Indo's best efforts . Bit of good news though was the Minister of septic tanks getting a right ould jerr,boo and howl in his own constituency when Liam McCarthy came home. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:

Great idea TC. Now I think that Poulter is an a******e and I agree with BOC that as there was no Irishman on the team( expect maor uisce,McGinley) we should not be excited about an event that even all the top golfers in the World do not take part in. Overblown media circus. Evil or Very Mad

wasnt too many top golfers missing in fairness RKF. Like or loathe golf as a sport, personally i like it quite a bit - that was some comeback. A Devon Lock from the yanks and always good to spank their asses in their own back yard.

When you think back to some of the abuse Montgomerie and the likes used to take from the fans i am sure alot of European Ryder cup golfers took a lot of satisfaction from that one. None more so than the great Sevvy himself.

Incidentally my remark about the Irish golfers or lack of them was tongue in cheek
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Incredible scenes in the golf world....

The Curlywurly lands a solid ball of money for signing with Nike....

The issue of captaincy for Gleneagles is hotting up. Looks a straight battle between McGinley and Montgrumpery....

I'd personally love to bury a 2 iron in Montgrumpery's ample arxe....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:15 am

If the Donegal man doesn't get it then it will be a travesty.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:01 am

Montgomerie is as arrogant and egotistical a man as one could find. When commentating on SKY, he constantly harps on about his role as captain in the Ryder Cup, and the influence he had on this player or that player. The reality is that, but for Graeme McDowell's cojones, he would have been the only European captain to lose on home soil in the last 20 years.

McGinley deserves a crack at this, and fair play to Poulter, Donald and, most vehemently, McIlroy for throwing their support behind him in recent days.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 am

I think the number of players that have come out behind McGinley is telling and surely a clear message to the selection committee that Monty isn't wanted by them.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 am

RMDrive wrote:I think the number of players that have come out behind McGinley is telling and surely a clear message to the selection committee that Monty isn't wanted by them.

Agreed, but perhaps carrying more weight are the television stations and sponsors, and they would prefer him. Sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 am

Its not down to the players though ... this from yesterday's Irish Times is how they pick captain.

Choosing the European Ryder Cup captain is not unlike choosing a pope. It’s 15 men in a room – the Tournament Players Committee, to give them their full title – and the door stays closed until a name emerges. One of the more intriguing aspects to this go-round is the fact that three of the 15 members of the committee are the men who have had their name in the hat.

If we take it that Clarke is definitely out of the race, that will mean McGinley and Montgomerie having to leave the room while the captaincy is being decided.

As it happens, that will only leave 11 to tease it out, as Miguel Angel Jimenez is laid up with a broken leg after a skiing accident and Robert Karlsson won’t be in Abu Dhabi either. Committee chairman Thomas Bjorn will only vote if there is a deadlock. So effectively, it comes down to 10 men. They are Clarke, Felipe Aguilar, Paul Casey, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, Joakim Haeggman, David Howell, Rafael Jacquelin, Peter Lawrie, Francesco Molinari and Henrik Stenson.

Molinari is the only member of the winning 2012 team who will be in the room, which could count against McGinley as over half of that team – including Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald – have already declared their support for him and he could do with their voices on his side. Of the others on the committee, Stenson is firmly in the Montgomerie camp.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm

According to OTB Peter Lawrie is very much in the Mcginley camp.
Mrs Doubtfire referred to (the major winning scotsman) as Paul Lawrie on several occasions in his autobiography
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:13 pm

OMAR wrote:According to OTB Peter Lawrie is very much in the Mcginley camp.
Mrs Doubtfire referred to (the major winning scotsman) as Paul Lawrie on several occasions in his autobiography

Something strange in the reading of this. Paul Lawrie (not on the selection committee) is the Scottish, major winning player. Hard to imagine that Peter Lawrie (the Irishman who has won little but is on the selction committee) was mentioned much in Monty's book?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
OMAR wrote:According to OTB Peter Lawrie is very much in the Mcginley camp.

Something strange in the reading of this. Paul Lawrie (not on the selection committee) is the Scottish, major winning player. Hard to imagine that Peter Lawrie (the Irishman who has won little but is on the selction committee) was mentioned much in Monty's book?

Im confusing myself now - not sure if I lost this in translation or if Requoted a mistake
or in any case if Paul Lawrie is Anti Monty - does it mean a jot if he is not on committee

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 pm

H'on Paul, well deserved.

The Golf thread - Page 12 25536710

A fitting picture to boot.