The Rugby Thread

Page 22 of 26 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:28 am

Woeful performance by Ireland. I can safely say that in all my years watching 5 and 6 Nations rugby, that Scottish performance is the worst I have ever seen to get 2 points - which says it all. They were abysmal - and won!

It does now seem that Kidney has cost himself his job. The players aren't playing for him any more and I feel that the whole O'Driscoll captaincy thing is where all this started - notwithstanding an horrendous injury list. Jackson had a tough day with the kicking tee but his failure to find touch with the penalty in the 50th minute and Kearney's subsequent concession of a cheap penalty was probably the big turning point. The decision to play Jackson is somewhat vindicated by O'Gara's appalling display when he came on. His cross kick and last poor pass while near the Scottish line were beyond belief. At best he may have felt really peeved at losing his place and thus played this way. Tom Court is shocking and nowhere near a provincial player let alone an international - the scrum was a mess. Best did not cover himself in glory with his darts either.

As I have said many times before Keith Earls is not an international player. His butchering of a try opportunity with the best centre in the world inside him was unforgiveable. He is totally overhyped. Conor Murray is an ordinary player too.

Really bad day at the office for all .....
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Boxtyeater on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Forum rogbee "expert" ormond lad will be back after we defeat Italy Suspect to enthuse about our prospects....

There aren't many holes in Jayo's argument in fairness. I feel very depressed today reading about the abjectivity of the performance.

I suppose if I were a public servant earning €65k I'd probably turn to the drink in the aftermath of the past 24 hrs..
avatar
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Forum rogbee "expert" ormond lad will be back after we defeat Italy Suspect to enthuse about our prospects....

There aren't many holes in Jayo's argument in fairness. I feel very depressed today reading about the abjectivity of the performance.

I suppose if I were a public servant earning €65k I'd probably turn to the drink in the aftermath of the past 24 hrs..
Quit the go's at me
I wont be talking up anything after we beat Italy. Kidney needs to go and the sooner this 6nations is finished and Kidney goes the better

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 am

Parouisa wrote:Woeful performance by Ireland. I can safely say that in all my years watching 5 and 6 Nations rugby, that Scottish performance is the worst I have ever seen to get 2 points - which says it all. They were abysmal - and won!

It does now seem that Kidney has cost himself his job. The players aren't playing for him any more and I feel that the whole O'Driscoll captaincy thing is where all this started - notwithstanding an horrendous injury list. Jackson had a tough day with the kicking tee but his failure to find touch with the penalty in the 50th minute and Kearney's subsequent concession of a cheap penalty was probably the big turning point. The decision to play Jackson is somewhat vindicated by O'Gara's appalling display when he came on. His cross kick and last poor pass while near the Scottish line were beyond belief. At best he may have felt really peeved at losing his place and thus played this way. Tom Court is shocking and nowhere near a provincial player let alone an international - the scrum was a mess. Best did not cover himself in glory with his darts either.

As I have said many times before Keith Earls is not an international player. His butchering of a try opportunity with the best centre in the world inside him was unforgiveable. He is totally overhyped. Conor Murray is an ordinary player too.

Really bad day at the office for all .....
Injury list played much bigger role than anything to do with the captaincy.
Ridiculous view on Court. He's done well with Ulster and deserved his place on form. Is 3rd choice though behind killer and healy.
Bests throwing was not great but at same time Ryan looked injured and they were facing a monstrous scottish pair of jumpers in hamilton and gray.
Earls is an international player. The mess up of try was ***** but he wasnt the only one to mess up a score. Early enough in the game(10mins or so in) Marshall threw a shocker of a pass that if it had went to hands was def a try for Gilroy

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 am

Parouisa wrote:Woeful performance by Ireland. I can safely say that in all my years watching 5 and 6 Nations rugby, that Scottish performance is the worst I have ever seen to get 2 points - which says it all. They were abysmal - and won!

It does now seem that Kidney has cost himself his job. The players aren't playing for him any more and I feel that the whole O'Driscoll captaincy thing is where all this started - notwithstanding an horrendous injury list. Jackson had a tough day with the kicking tee but his failure to find touch with the penalty in the 50th minute and Kearney's subsequent concession of a cheap penalty was probably the big turning point. The decision to play Jackson is somewhat vindicated by O'Gara's appalling display when he came on. His cross kick and last poor pass while near the Scottish line were beyond belief. At best he may have felt really peeved at losing his place and thus played this way. Tom Court is shocking and nowhere near a provincial player let alone an international - the scrum was a mess. Best did not cover himself in glory with his darts either.

As I have said many times before Keith Earls is not an international player. His butchering of a try opportunity with the best centre in the world inside him was unforgiveable. He is totally overhyped. Conor Murray is an ordinary player too.

Really bad day at the office for all .....
Injury list played much bigger role than anything to do with the captaincy.
Ridiculous view on Court. He's done well with Ulster and deserved his place on form. Is 3rd choice though behind killer and healy.
Bests throwing was not great but at same time Ryan looked injured and they were facing a monstrous scottish pair of jumpers in hamilton and gray.
Earls is an international player. The mess up of try was ***** but he wasnt the only one to mess up a score. Early enough in the game(10mins or so in) Marshall threw a shocker of a pass that if it had went to hands was def a try for Gilroy

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  OMAR on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 am

Summary of analysis

Apart from our poor Scrums, line outs, passing,choice of tactics, and place kicking the future is bright
avatar
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 am

ormond lad wrote: Kidney needs to go and the sooner this 6nations is finished and Kidney goes the better

I love the way people turn on coaches, as though all the blame lies with them. Not being a great observer of the rugby, I'll concede that perhaps Kidney has taken the team as far as he can, but you should also consider who else would be able to do a better job?

Ireland has a great habit of blaming fine coaches for poor results. Brian Ashton, a man with Heineken Cups and a World Cup Final appearance on his CV was run out of town. As was Warren Gatland, who went on to Heineken Cup and 2xGrand Slam successes. And then there was Eddie O'Sullivan, who became Ireland's most successful coach at the time, before he was ousted by a rugger public clamouring for, ironically, Declan Kidney.

Let's look at Kidney. He is the only Irish coach in living memory to win a Grand Slam. He is also the only Irish coach to win a 5/6 nations championship in the last 30-odd years. He was the first Irish coach to win 2 Heineken Cups, and was also runner-up in 2 other finals. He won an U19 World Cup. This is a man who knows who to win rugby matches, at all levels.

The problem that Ireland have, although few ever seem to admit it, is that we aren't very good at rugby, and never have been. Seriously, look at the record books, and you'll instantly see just how poor we are:

In over a century of 5/6 nations championships, we have 2 Grand Slams. Yes, two. Contrast this with 12 for England, 11 for Wales, 9 for France and even 3 for Scotland. We do, however, top the list of wooden spoons, with an incredible 36. Even since the turn of the millennium, regarded by many as a golden period for Irish rugby, we only won 1 championship (1 slam). France won 5 in that time (3 slams), England won 4 (1 slam) and Wales 3 (3 slams).

And then there is the World Cup, a competition effectively contesting by 7 nations pre 1995, and 9 post 1999. Perhaps one day Italy will improve enough to make it 10. Despite the tiny number of participants, Ireland have never appeared in even a semi final. Scotland have. Wales have a couple of times. Obviously England and France have. But Ireland have never managed it, in 7 attempts. That's pretty pathetic.

Ireland are not, and never were, any good at rugby. We are the whipping boys of the international game, the Brian O'Driscoll era aside (I call it that because it was he who almost single-handedly elevated us to short-lived respectability). So, by all means jettison Kidney, but just don't expect the team to become world beaters. A century of pastings suggests that we never will be.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
ormond lad wrote: Kidney needs to go and the sooner this 6nations is finished and Kidney goes the better

I love the way people turn on coaches, as though all the blame lies with them. Not being a great observer of the rugby, I'll concede that perhaps Kidney has taken the team as far as he can, but you should also consider who else would be able to do a better job?

Ireland has a great habit of blaming fine coaches for poor results. Brian Ashton, a man with Heineken Cups and a World Cup Final appearance on his CV was run out of town. As was Warren Gatland, who went on to Heineken Cup and 2xGrand Slam successes. And then there was Eddie O'Sullivan, who became Ireland's most successful coach at the time, before he was ousted by a rugger public clamouring for, ironically, Declan Kidney.

Let's look at Kidney. He is the only Irish coach in living memory to win a Grand Slam. He is also the only Irish coach to win a 5/6 nations championship in the last 30-odd years. He was the first Irish coach to win 2 Heineken Cups, and was also runner-up in 2 other finals. He won an U19 World Cup. This is a man who knows who to win rugby matches, at all levels.

The problem that Ireland have, although few ever seem to admit it, is that we aren't very good at rugby, and never have been. Seriously, look at the record books, and you'll instantly see just how poor we are:

In over a century of 5/6 nations championships, we have 2 Grand Slams. Yes, two. Contrast this with 12 for England, 11 for Wales, 9 for France and even 3 for Scotland. We do, however, top the list of wooden spoons, with an incredible 36. Even since the turn of the millennium, regarded by many as a golden period for Irish rugby, we only won 1 championship (1 slam). France won 5 in that time (3 slams), England won 4 (1 slam) and Wales 3 (3 slams).

And then there is the World Cup, a competition effectively contesting by 7 nations pre 1995, and 9 post 1999. Perhaps one day Italy will improve enough to make it 10. Despite the tiny number of participants, Ireland have never appeared in even a semi final. Scotland have. Wales have a couple of times. Obviously England and France have. But Ireland have never managed it, in 7 attempts. That's pretty pathetic.

Ireland are not, and never were, any good at rugby. We are the whipping boys of the international game, the Brian O'Driscoll era aside (I call it that because it was he who almost single-handedly elevated us to short-lived respectability). So, by all means jettison Kidney, but just don't expect the team to become world beaters. A century of pastings suggests that we never will be.
I know you have to consider who else there is to take over from kidney but change is needed and we have been declining for a considerable period.
And at the time the decision to get rid of all those coaches was right.
Ashton was run out of time because in his time as coach we were *****.
Kidneys record speaks for itself but at the current time he is not the right man for ireland. His conservatism is not helping Ireland.
Ireland are good at rugby. Never will be world beaters until the sport is played on a much wider basis across the country and the schools like blackrock, rockwell, etc do not dominate the sport

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 am

ormond lad wrote: Ireland are good at rugby. Never will be world beaters until the sport is played on a much wider basis across the country and the schools like blackrock, rockwell, etc do not dominate the sport

Sorry, but we aren't. We are a bigger country than Wales, Scotland or New Zealand, yet are inferior to all of those. Of course we would be better if more people played, but then so would the USA.

Ashton's results were poor. Gatland's results were poor. O'Sullivan's were poor. And now Kidney's are poor. Would you never consider that maybe the players are poor?
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:06 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
ormond lad wrote: Ireland are good at rugby. Never will be world beaters until the sport is played on a much wider basis across the country and the schools like blackrock, rockwell, etc do not dominate the sport

Sorry, but we aren't. We are a bigger country than Wales, Scotland or New Zealand, yet are inferior to all of those. Of course we would be better if more people played, but then so would the USA.

Ashton's results were poor. Gatland's results were poor. O'Sullivan's were poor. And now Kidney's are poor. Would you never consider that maybe the players are poor?
We are not inferior to Scotland and have defeated Wales as often than weve lost the last 10 times weve played them.
We have about the same playing numbers as all those countrys(in cases of nz/wales) or more(scotland) but not by much. Problem we have is translating huge increases in playing numbers underage to adult level. That will help the top teams do better
Yes the players have not impressed to the levels weve seen them impress at provincial level. I think its clear the players are up to it. Look at how the provinces run the roost and how come the same players cant do the same at national level

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 am

ormond lad wrote: Look at how the provinces run the roost and how come the same players cant do the same at national level

Indeed, and look at how Crossmaglen dominate the GAA club scene. Doesn't mean that Armagh are any great shakes.

Not sure how you work out that Ireland are better than Scotland and Wales - read my original post again for a breakdown of the stats that disprove those theories. And I wouldn't even bother to compare them to any of the big 5.

Sorry OL, but I'll need more than 'our players are really good, i know it, i know it' to convince me that Ireland are anything other than poor at this game. I'm looking at a century of stats that is telling me they are awful. In fact, the last decade of stats alone tells me that.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

ormond lad wrote:Injury list played much bigger role than anything to do with the captaincy.Disagree - even with all our injuries we should be able to beat the likes of Scotland and Italy. There is an issue here beyond injuries. Players are not right mentally and this is translated into poor performances and schoolboy errors.

Ridiculous view on Court. He's done well with Ulster and deserved his place on form. Is 3rd choice though behind killer and healy.He is not up to it at all and never has been. My ridiculous view was underlined last year v England and many many other occasions when our scrum was mashed with him aboard.

Bests throwing was not great but at same time Ryan looked injured and they were facing a monstrous scottish pair of jumpers in hamilton and gray.So they couldn't just throw it to the front or away from those two??? A player is injured and he keeps throwing to him?? Yeah that makes it right.

Earls is an international player. The mess up of try was ***** but he wasnt the only one to mess up a score. Early enough in the game(10mins or so in) Marshall threw a shocker of a pass that if it had went to hands was def a try for Gilroy

Yeah Marshall's was poor too but I am allowing him what was his first or second touch in 6 Nations rugby - and it was a more difficult pass than Earls' who had BOD inside on his shoulder. We have a terrbile habit in this country of building up our rugby and soccer players to be the next BOD or Brady or Giles. We did this with Earls - who is nowhere near that comparison. Not up to it.
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am

Parouisa wrote:
ormond lad wrote:Injury list played much bigger role than anything to do with the captaincy.Disagree - even with all our injuries we should be able to beat the likes of Scotland and Italy. There is an issue here beyond injuries. Players are not right mentally and this is translated into poor performances and schoolboy errors.


Ridiculous view on Court. He's done well with Ulster and deserved his place on form. Is 3rd choice though behind killer and healy.He is not up to it at all and never has been. My ridiculous view was underlined last year v England and many many other occasions when our scrum was mashed with him aboard.


Bests throwing was not great but at same time Ryan looked injured and they were facing a monstrous scottish pair of jumpers in hamilton and gray.So they couldn't just throw it to the front or away from those two??? A player is injured and he keeps throwing to him?? Yeah that makes it right.

Earls is an international player. The mess up of try was ***** but he wasnt the only one to mess up a score. Early enough in the game(10mins or so in) Marshall threw a shocker of a pass that if it had went to hands was def a try for Gilroy

Yeah Marshall's was poor too but I am allowing him what was his first or second touch in 6 Nations rugby - and it was a more difficult pass than Earls' who had BOD inside on his shoulder. We have a terrbile habit in this country of building up our rugby and soccer players to be the next BOD or Brady or Giles. We did this with Earls - who is nowhere near that comparison. Not up to it.
Not really. We have depth but not the depth to cope with injuries to more than 2/3 key players. There is issues beyond injuries but the injuries played a huge role in how we have done.
Tom Court is international standard loosehead. The scrum was mashed against england but that was where court was at tighthead a position which he is not able to play. he had shown he could kind of cover tighthead and as there was only 1 prop on the bench for internationals at the time he covered it.
It isnt as simple as just throw it to front. If we kept throwing ball to front they would prob have moved a v good jumper to 2 to compete. 2 is also the worst place to throw the ball if you want the ball to go out wide to the backs.
It wasnt a more difficult pass.
Earls gets shitloads of very unfair abuse from fans. He is not the next o driscoll but should be on the team by right. He is not the next o driscoll. Nobody is. He has been best in the world. No irish player for a considerable period will get anywhere near what o driscoll has achieved.

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Totally disagree with almost all your points.

But one thing is for sure, we had 71% possession and 77% territory so injuries had nothing to do with us losing on Sunday.

I wouldn't abuse Earls and I don't build him up to be the next BOD (as Munster fans have mostly). But he is a good provincial player, no more - no less. The non-pass was a helluva lot more straightforward than Marshall's.

Your comments on the lineout are funny. To think professional players couldn't work out how we might keep the ball away from Gray and Hamilton .... Rolling Eyes
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

In general terms we have had relatively good rugby success since the game went professional. Our provinces certainly have more than held their own. It is a bit unfair to be comparing with Wales and New Zealand where the oval ball has held a position of high reverence.
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Parouisa wrote:Totally disagree with almost all your points.

But one thing is for sure, we had 71% possession and 77% territory so injuries had nothing to do with us losing on Sunday.

I wouldn't abuse Earls and I don't build him up to be the next BOD (as Munster fans have mostly). But he is a good provincial player, no more - no less. The non-pass was a helluva lot more straightforward than Marshall's.

Your comments on the lineout are funny. To think professional players couldn't work out how we might keep the ball away from Gray and Hamilton .... Rolling Eyes
Munster fans have not built up Earls as the next o driscoll. They have said he is the next irish outside centre but only a very very small number have said he is the next o driscoll.
He is an international quality player. Making the Lions 4 years ago proved that dispite his wobbles on that tour and his try scoring record shows he is an international player
Eh well when the Scots have such a huge pair of men in the row it is difficult to do well.

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Making the Lions? Sure Luke Fitzgerald made the Lions! Will Earls made the upcoming squad? Not a hope in hell. He is an international quality player for a team that will win nothing. If Ireland want to win silverware they will need better players than the average Earls.

And if our lineout can't cope with two big guys then we may throw our hats at it!
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Parouisa wrote:In general terms we have had relatively good rugby success since the game went professional. Our provinces certainly have more than held their own. It is a bit unfair to be comparing with Wales and New Zealand where the oval ball has held a position of high reverence.

But then who should we compare Ireland to? Scotland? Italy? Argentina (although the latter have been as successful as us).

Ireland have not had relatively good success in the professional era, as the results indicate that they have been only the 4th best side in the northerm hemisphere (or, to put it another way, 7th in the world, that being a world of at most 10 countries). I will concede that we have been relatively very slightly more successful in comparison to how we performed in the last decade of the amateur era.

Honestly, I don't think that you can use the provinces to prove Irish success, for 3 main reasons:

1) The Heineken Cup is not international standard;

2) The provinces are not composed solely of Irish players;

3) We enter provinces (and at that only 3 main ones), whereas England and France enter clubs. Their talent pool is spread much more thinly. I think this is right thing to do for the sake of the competition, but we must take that into account when patting ourselves on the back.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Why should international rugby be the comparison? Do we judge the Premiership on the national team?

All I am saying is that we have grasped the professional nettle better than most and our record in that era bears comparison with most - both provincial and international. We have a lower playing base than most others (except Scotland and Italy) but this is growing.

Comparisons are very difficult to make. For example a club in London has a much bigger potential pick than our four provinces put together.

No point in cherry picking comparisons either way.
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Boxtyeater on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Seeing as Forum heavyweights Thomas Clarke and Parouisa are reduced to collapsing the scrum, such is the pressure Ormond Lad has them under, maybe some of my recent mathematical discoveries may be of help......


What Makes 100%?

What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?

Ever wonder about those people who say they
are giving more than 100%? We have all been
to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%.

How about achieving 103%?

What makes up 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Is represented as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

And

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far ass kissing will take you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, that while Hardwork and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, its the Bullshit and AssKissing that will put you over the top.

Now you know why some people are where they are!





avatar
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 am

Parouisa wrote:Making the Lions? Sure Luke Fitzgerald made the Lions! Will Earls made the upcoming squad? Not a hope in hell. He is an international quality player for a team that will win nothing. If Ireland want to win silverware they will need better players than the average Earls.

And if our lineout can't cope with two big guys then we may throw our hats at it!
And Luke well deserved to make the Lions. No need for the go at him.
If Ireland are to win silverware they can do it with Earls.
The scots have one of the best lineouts around so it was very difficult
Thomas Clarke wrote:
Parouisa wrote:In general terms we have had relatively good rugby success since the game went professional. Our provinces certainly have more than held their own. It is a bit unfair to be comparing with Wales and New Zealand where the oval ball has held a position of high reverence.

But then who should we compare Ireland to? Scotland? Italy? Argentina (although the latter have been as successful as us).

Ireland have not had relatively good success in the professional era, as the results indicate that they have been only the 4th best side in the northerm hemisphere (or, to put it another way, 7th in the world, that being a world of at most 10 countries). I will concede that we have been relatively very slightly more successful in comparison to how we performed in the last decade of the amateur era.

Honestly, I don't think that you can use the provinces to prove Irish success, for 3 main reasons:

1) The Heineken Cup is not international standard;

2) The provinces are not composed solely of Irish players;

3) We enter provinces (and at that only 3 main ones), whereas England and France enter clubs. Their talent pool is spread much more thinly. I think this is right thing to do for the sake of the competition, but we must take that into account when patting ourselves on the back.
Talking about us entering provinces while england/france enters clubs isnt a good enough argument.
The population of say Leicester is about the same as the population of Leicester so club v province isnt a goo enough argument
Their talent pool is bigger as population and playing numbers is bigger.
You can use the provinces to prove irish success. You would expect a country that has had the best non international in europe for 3 of the last 4 years to be winning in competition but we have not.
If you look at results of games and win ratios we are higher than 4th best except we have only won 1 6nations title.

Parouisa wrote:Why should international rugby be the comparison? Do we judge the Premiership on the national team?
All I am saying is that we have grasped the professional nettle better than most and our record in that era bears comparison with most - both provincial and international. We have a lower playing base than most others (except Scotland and Italy) but this is growing.
Comparisons are very difficult to make. For example a club in London has a much bigger potential pick than our four provinces put together.
No point in cherry picking comparisons either way.
International rugby is the comparison as that it what the IRFU builds itself and bases itself around. The international game is where the IRFU makes the money to run the sport at all levels.
International rugby is the comparison that can be made as the current set up of the provinces is only 20 years or so old

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm

ormond lad wrote:
The population of say Leicester is about the same as the population of Leicester so club v province isnt a goo enough argument
Their talent pool is bigger as population and playing numbers is bigger.

Is this a wind up? The talent pool is exactly the same size!! What part of Munster is Doug Howlett from? And I'm pretty sure that Rocky and Felipo aren't Leinster names.

This is why the only basis for comparison is international rugby, and it is why I can say with confidence that Ireland aren't very good.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  ormond lad on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
ormond lad wrote:
The population of say Leicester is about the same as the population of Leicester so club v province isnt a goo enough argument
Their talent pool is bigger as population and playing numbers is bigger.

Is this a wind up? The talent pool is exactly the same size!! What part of Munster is Doug Howlett from? And I'm pretty sure that Rocky and Felipo aren't Leinster names.

This is why the only basis for comparison is international rugby, and it is why I can say with confidence that Ireland aren't very good.
all english,french sides can sign more players from outside their own country.
The provinces can only sign 5 non irish qualified players in comparison to the english/french who can sign as many as they like.
No that wasnt a wind up.
Ireland should have done better no doubt. Based on provinces ability to win we should have done more at provincial level.

ormond lad
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

tipperary
Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Little point in having a debate where the main points seem to be 'oh yes he can' 'oh no he can't' etc ....
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Parouisa on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:02 am

O'Gara cut from panel. Brutal decision ... maybe a game too late though.
avatar
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2476

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 26 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum