GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Premier League

+23
hurlingguru
mugsys_barber
Real Kerry Fan
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
samin12
Larry Murphy
3inarow08
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
JimWexford
bald eagle
hipster 2
bocerty
Boxtyeater
SamiPremier08
Jayo Cluxton
OMAR
patrique
Grenvile
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
27 posters

Page 2 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Premier League - Page 2 Empty Re: The Premier League

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:United fans and blinkers .......... synonymous and inseparable. Amazing to see the rapidity of the slide at Liverpool ......... Old Trafford take note.

What particular point made by a United fan would lead you to the "blinkers" conclusion?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:04 am

Jonsmith wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:United fans and blinkers .......... synonymous and inseparable. Amazing to see the rapidity of the slide at Liverpool ......... Old Trafford take note.

What particular point made by a United fan would lead you to the "blinkers" conclusion?

Suspect its more the point that is not being made
Anderson, Carrick, Gibson. Fletcher, Nani - will not win anyone a Champions League this side of the next Irish Property boom.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:21 am

I'd suggest going and looking at the United squad who Won 2008 and got to the final in 2009. Apart from Ronaldo it's the same squad.

But that is besides the point. Will someone please show me a United fan who expects to win the CL this year? Nobody is expecting that and fans are well aware that the likes of Anderson and Gibson are journeymen. But United's squad is still a lot better than 17 other teams in the PL and Fergie remains the best coach in England also and will get the best out of the average players in the squad. They are on a bad run of form, anyone who thinks United will play this poorly for the other 30 games of the season is deluded.

Jayo's unexplained comment is like what you hear from the typical obnoxious type of ABU, taking a pop without cause or explanation. There had been mention of winning a CL. Merely a statement that United should have beaten West Brom.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:24 am

Nothing really. But similar to Liverpool. US owners (sharks) no money, no buying power and even the traditional Man U lure on the wane ... as is Wayne. Not good. Mainstays in the current team are bit players of a few seasons back. I can see it.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:29 am

Jonsmith wrote:Jayo's unexplained comment is like what you hear from the typical obnoxious type of ABU, taking a pop without cause or explanation. There had been mention of winning a CL. Merely a statement that United should have beaten West Brom.

I am not ABU at all JS. I am a sufferer from ABD so I do not indulge in that crap. But in reality Man U (or my team - Leeds) mean nothing to me - I'm Irish. I merely comment on what I see. And personally I would love to see the Premiership and all its ugliness of men on 200K a week go down the tubes. I despise greed - so to see the greedy fail makes me happy ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:44 am

As I've said before I'm an armchair United fan. Give me a first round win for my local club over an 8-0 hammering of Barca in the CL final any day. That's not the point. Why direct the dislike of the greed towards United, the only other team along with Arsenal who's success was gained through success on the pitch as opposed to massive borrowings or becoming a billionaire's plaything?

So your "blinkers" comment was just a cheap shot with no real justification then in the context of the comments made on the thread... Sound.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:04 am

Jonsmith wrote:United should have won, Vidic hitting the post and a terrible mistake from VDS gifting WB a goal.. He won't make many of those all year.
If United go on a bad run of form people always say Fergie has lost it etc.. A testament to the high standards Sir Alex has set at United. He will never get the chop, he will leave when he chooses to. Which could be sooner if the Glazers continue to choke the finances..

I suspect this post might lead to a comment about "blinkers".

Did you see United's goals?

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:07 am

United's slump seems to have coincided with many of their fans hit by the recession.

Many of them obviously cannot afford the internet to post numerous missives about the mighty reds, and many others have obviously defaulted on the mobile phone as I haven't received a single text from a United fan this season. Used to get loads.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Well one of the red tops already has Rooney gone in January citing
"unreconcilable differences etc"

Though when you consider that the Glaziers need to raise £30m a year over trading profit to service their junk bond financing means they have to sell a Ronaldo or Rooney every second year.

Maybe the Rift is all a clever ruse by the Glaziers to create a situation where by they sell Rooney without the fans rioting.

Though given his form he may go at a discount - Maybe John Henry will run this one through the abacus
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:22 pm

patrique wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:United should have won, Vidic hitting the post and a terrible mistake from VDS gifting WB a goal.. He won't make many of those all year.
If United go on a bad run of form people always say Fergie has lost it etc.. A testament to the high standards Sir Alex has set at United. He will never get the chop, he will leave when he chooses to. Which could be sooner if the Glazers continue to choke the finances..

I suspect this post might lead to a comment about "blinkers".

Did you see United's goals?

I did Pat I watched the whole game. Hernandez poaching after a free kick and Berbatov drawing in 2 defenders and teeing up Nani.
Now you've commented a few times saying United were lucky not to lose... A typical laughable comment given that United could have been 5 up at the break and West Brom had no chances as such and their goals came from an OG and a howler by Van Der Sar. You surely must have watched the game to come up with that conclusion. So you've gone from not watching the PL, to watching not only City's games but United's too!? Quite the turnaround..

You do know that United were the team in the red?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I must have been watching the wrong match. Compared to Carson Van der Sar was MOTM and nani's one two with the Albion left back who fell over would lead to a stewards inquiry if it was another sport.

But doubtless United's mastery made him fall over.

Point today keeps City in second place...............
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:21 pm

patrique wrote:I must have been watching the wrong match. Compared to Carson Van der Sar was MOTM and nani's one two with the Albion left back who fell over would lead to a stewards inquiry if it was another sport.

For a minute there I thought you might have actually watched it but obviously not.. VDS made ONE (that's 1, Uimhir a haon) save in the 94 minutes. Colson made 4. There is a Premier League Website that keeps all these stats Pat go check it out if you don't believe me. If you're going to continue making silly points at least watch the games and come up with something better. Proving your false statements after every round of PL games us becoming tiring.

Undoubtedly you rushed off to the pub after posting your above comment, what with the City game starting in 10 minutes and you not having Sky...............

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:Jayo's unexplained comment is like what you hear from the typical obnoxious type of ABU, taking a pop without cause or explanation. There had been mention of winning a CL. Merely a statement that United should have beaten West Brom.

I am not ABU at all JS. I am a sufferer from ABD so I do not indulge in that crap. But in reality Man U (or my team - Leeds) mean nothing to me - I'm Irish. I merely comment on what I see. And personally I would love to see the Premiership and all its ugliness of men on 200K a week go down the tubes. I despise greed - so to see the greedy fail makes me happy ....

A man of principal, fair play to you Jayo. I too would turn down 200k, a lavish lifestyle, nice home and nice cars as well just for kicking a ball about. Glad we agree on something

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Jonsmith wrote:
patrique wrote:I must have been watching the wrong match. Compared to Carson Van der Sar was MOTM and nani's one two with the Albion left back who fell over would lead to a stewards inquiry if it was another sport.

For a minute there I thought you might have actually watched it but obviously not.. VDS made ONE (that's 1, Uimhir a haon) save in the 94 minutes. Colson made 4. There is a Premier League Website that keeps all these stats Pat go check it out if you don't believe me. If you're going to continue making silly points at least watch the games and come up with something better. Proving your false statements after every round of PL games us becoming tiring.

Undoubtedly you rushed off to the pub after posting your above comment, what with the City game starting in 10 minutes and you not having Sky...............

In the first half Nani passed a free kick back to Carson. Admittedly he hit it that easy that Carson had to move forward to collect it but that still does not excuse Carson making the biggest goal keeping blunder in this match by rolling the ball out to an unknown United player who scored.

The second goal was an absolute joke.

Albion's second goal came after 2 mistakes by Evra, and one by Vidic, and finally one by Van der Sar, all in the one move.

That is not unlucky, that is bad play.

But I watched City waltz home today after being played off the park. They are beginning to look like United in their better days.

And I reckon if United had someone like Tevez they woulkd still be a force. Pity he moved to Manchester.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:37 pm

And I had a leisurely drive to the pub to watch the game on italian version of Sky, same as yesterday.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:53 pm

patrique wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:

In the first half Nani passed a free kick back to Carson. Admittedly he hit it that easy that Carson had to move forward to collect it but that still does not excuse Carson making the biggest goal keeping blunder in this match by rolling the ball out to an unknown United player who scored.

Albion's second goal came after 2 mistakes by Evra, and one by Vidic, and finally one by Van der Sar, all in the one move.

But I watched City waltz home today after being played off the park. They are beginning to look like United in their better days.

And I reckon if United had someone like Tevez they woulkd still be a force. Pity he moved to Manchester.

Surely Utds first goal came as a result of bad play by the WBA goalkeeper then and not luck?

Also the guy slipped near the half way line for UTDS second goal, Utd still had about 3 or 4 players to beat to score. That came as a result of good play more so than anything.

But as a Utd fan it cannot be denied we are struggling.

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:42 pm

samin10 wrote:
patrique wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:

Surely Utds first goal came as a result of bad play by the WBA goalkeeper then and not luck?

Also the guy slipped near the half way line for UTDS second goal, Utd still had about 3 or 4 players to beat to score. That came as a result of good play more so than anything.

But as a Utd fan it cannot be denied we are struggling.

Oh but it can, Samin, it can.

There are thousands in denial, most of them in Co Ca.....
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Have I not said 3 times in the thread so far that United are playing poorly? But then again pat was arguing that United were done before they appeared in consecutive CL finals so we can be forgiven for not taking his opinion about United being finished entirely seriously...

City rode their luck, Tevez offside for the first and fouled to regain the ball for the second. City fans should be praying he doesn't get injured though as he appears to be their only scoring threat. Silva's goal was a peach.

Thanks for the recap on the United goal there pat, rewording Sky's online commentary now I see.. But really there is no need I actually watched the game. United's goals were lucky but WB's were due to bad play by United?... That's the best you can come up with...

Remember when you were good at wind ups and not so easily proved wrong? Those were better days...

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:54 pm

samin10 wrote:A man of principal, fair play to you Jayo. I too would turn down 200k, a lavish lifestyle, nice home and nice cars as well just for kicking a ball about. Glad we agree on something

Cheers Samin - and never once have I regretted chasing those scouts from my door.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
samin10 wrote:A man of principal, fair play to you Jayo. I too would turn down 200k, a lavish lifestyle, nice home and nice cars as well just for kicking a ball about. Glad we agree on something

Cheers Samin - and never once have I regretted chasing those scouts from my door.

Were they looking you to go on a camping trip with the brownies, you chased them because you wanted it to be boys only?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:15 pm

samin10 wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

Were they looking you to go on a camping trip with the brownies, you chased them because you wanted it to be boys only?

Dib dib dib!!

JS - I dunno why you get so animated when you are an armchair fan?!?! For a few years the Premiership was THE league in world football. Not any more. Liverpool is not a good story and they came damn close to administration. United should be very careful. As I said before I loved United sides in the past - great football to watch. They are quite poor now - 5 or 6 regulars would not have got a sniff a few years back. The strength in depth is not there - nor is the buying power. I honestly can't see them getting near winning anything this season. You say they played badly in the past and came good - but that was when they had very good players ... not the case now.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:59 pm

Ah not getting too animated really Jayo, if your gonna argue something you might as well do it right. Wink

Keeping in mind that nobody here is an avid United Fan or a true ABU I am the closest to a true United fan on the thread (Unless Samin is)
Yourself and Pat like to ram it home that United are struggling and are not going to win anything. Even when nobody is disagreeing with you or claiming otherwise! Go back through the thread, I have said several times we won't win anything this year..
I follow the league to a reasonable extent. I attempted to discuss the League in this thread on a fair basis making no over the top claims about United at all yet like every single thread on soccer both here and elsewhere it is dragged into a pointless argument about how bad or otherwise United are by Patrique with some help from yourself in this case.

How many times are we going to hear "Ooh the United Fans are gone quiet now, no texts from United Fans today" What an inane and pointless comment.. That people would take the few seconds to write such a dead end, worthless comment thinking it is some sort of clever point amazes me.
Yes United are playing poorly at the minute. But this same team came second last year. Things will improve. Not to the extent that they will challenge for the CL or even the PL but enough to get a top 4 finish and get to a CL Quarter Final.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:10 am

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:12 am

Jonsmith wrote:Ah not getting too animated really Jayo, if your gonna argue something you might as well do it right. Wink

Keeping in mind that nobody here is an avid United Fan or a true ABU I am the closest to a true United fan on the thread (Unless Samin is)
Yourself and Pat like to ram it home that United are struggling and are not going to win anything. Even when nobody is disagreeing with you or claiming otherwise! Go back through the thread, I have said several times we won't win anything this year..
I follow the league to a reasonable extent. I attempted to discuss the League in this thread on a fair basis making no over the top claims about United at all yet like every single thread on soccer both here and elsewhere it is dragged into a pointless argument about how bad or otherwise United are by Patrique with some help from yourself in this case.

How many times are we going to hear "Ooh the United Fans are gone quiet now, no texts from United Fans today" What an inane and pointless comment.. That people would take the few seconds to write such a dead end, worthless comment thinking it is some sort of clever point amazes me.
Yes United are playing poorly at the minute. But this same team came second last year. Things will improve. Not to the extent that they will challenge for the CL or even the PL but enough to get a top 4 finish and get to a CL Quarter Final.

i would be of similar thinking, utd would be the team i would look out for but i wouldnt lose much sleep if the didnt win a trophy for the next ten years. I follow them but i am no massive supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:26 am

Boxtyeater wrote:

In hindsight, what utter class..Timing, positional nous, skill and executioner qualities par excellence, all wrapped up in 10 seconds.....

My views on quality players of any sport have been long enunciated on this forum....The likes of Maurice Fitz, Purcell, DJ and Shefflin, Matt Conner....
Dennis Law, climb aboard and hold on tight...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 39 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next