GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nodar Kumaritashvili

+2
Jayo Cluxton
Loyal2TheRoyal
6 posters

Go down

Nodar Kumaritashvili Empty Nodar Kumaritashvili

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:47 am

RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili Icon_cry !

Nodar Kumaritashvili from Georgia, aged 21, killed whilst practising for the Mens Luge at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Always distressing to read about a sports star who died whilst on the field of play but in this instance, where the scene is as big as the Winter Olympics, its catastrophic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/12/nodar-kumaritashvili-cras_n_460474.html

^^^^ Contains very graphic images.

Read about this an hour ago. Apparantly this Whistler course is a deathtrap. There's been numerous injuries this week from Luge, Skeleton and Bobsleigh teams practising. And many leading voices over there had expressed concerns prior to this. All too late now, a horrifying end result for such a simple mistake (too high on one corner). Casts a big shadow over the Games now.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Nodar Kumaritashvili Empty Re: Nodar Kumaritashvili

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 am

Yep very sad alright - can only imagine that it was the pinnacle of his career and then this happens. RIP.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 am

Sad news indeed Loyal and as you said will cast a shadow on the Games..RIP.

On an aside, I've been to Whistler, where a cousin of mine lives and found it to be a beautiful place, cold but inordinatley welcoming, with a very big Irish community in it's hinterland going back generations...
Tremendous venue, great infrastructure, accessability.....the lot..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 am

I know this is all well and good in hindsight, but how could the designers of the track not forsee such an event occurring when positioning those big metal pillars beside the track?

The poor fella never stood a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:25 am

Very sad. R.I.P. I hate to see sportspeople die when they're playing in their chosen sport.

Loyal, I haven't gone into the video-does it show his accident? I wouldn't want to see him dying, and I'm not sure what's on the vid.

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 am

As someone who lost an immediate member of my family to a tragic high profile sporting accident a few years ago i know exactly what Mr Kumaritashvili's family will be feeling right now. The weaknesses in safety will make it very hard to come to terms with however the fact that Mr Kumaritashvili died doing what he loved will make it a lot easier, i know it did for me.

When i heard the news my thoughts went straight back to when we got the news a few years back, it's horrible to hear when someone dies in a sporting accident.

Those pictures are pretty graphic alright, quite how the made print is beyond me, just shows you what the papps are like!

Nodar Kumaritashvili RIP

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Sebastian wrote:I know this is all well and good in hindsight, but how could the designers of the track not forsee such an event occurring when positioning those big metal pillars beside the track?

The poor fella never stood a chance.

disturbing to hear on the news this morning that the guy who designed the course says it is too dangerous ...............

RIP
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 pm

A shocking tragedy. RIP.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero